Barbara Holston Education Fund – Scholarship Eligibility Guidelines and Award Process
For the 2024 Scholarship year, the Barbara Holston Education Fund will offer the following scholarships:
- $1,000 for students pursuing vocational or technical training certifications or an associate’s degree
- $2,500 for students pursuing a 4-year higher education college degree
- $5,000 for students pursuing a master’s degree or other advanced higher education degree.
All awardees will also receive a $500 cash stipend for equipment, books, or supplies. Multiple scholarships may be awarded.
To be eligible for consideration for a Barbara Holston Education Fund scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must be a current participant or member of a household receiving housing assistance through a Fort Worth Housing Solutions rental assistance program (housing choice voucher, RAD, project-based voucher or public housing) for a minimum of 12 months prior to February 15 of the year that the application is submitted.
- Applicant or household must be current on all financial obligations related to FWHS. Payment arrangements accepted.
- Applicant must have earned a high school diploma, GED or be enrolled in their senior year of high school and on track to graduate. A diploma or current high school transcript must be submitted with scholarship application.
- By March 31, 2024, Applicant must be enrolled in an accredited, post-secondary institution for the upcoming academic year in one of the following:
- an Associate or Bachelor degree program at a nonprofit, post-secondary institution.
- Vocational or technical certification program lasting at least six months offered by a nonprofit, post-secondary institution.
- Applicant must maintain at least part-time enrollment during the scholarship period based on the institution’s program and policy.
- The 2024 BHEF Scholarship application period is open from February 15, 2024 through March 31, 2024. No applications are accepted after midnight March 31st.
- Applications are accepted via an online entry form only. Applicants may submit only one application per year. Duplicate applications will be removed, including any applications that are determined to be variations of the same entry.
- All applications must be submitted to the Barbara Holston Education Fund between February 15, 2024 and midnight March 31, 2024. The link is available at https://www.bhefund.org/apply.
The application consists of the following documents:
- Application – Complete application at link available at https://www.bhefund.org/apply.
- Transcript or diploma – transcript of grades must be verified by school counselor if currently enrolled
- Essay – you must submit either: (1) a typewritten essay in English on the following topic: “What Home Means to Me;” OR (2) a video submission expressing “What Home Means to Me.”
- Letter of Recommendation (for $5,000 master’s degree scholarship only) – you must provide a letter of recommendation from one non-family member (a teacher, coach, clergy member, etc.)
- Applications will be reviewed and scored by a committee of reviewers based on grades, extracurricular and service experience, the personal essay/video, and where applicable, letters of recommendation.
- Scholarship recipients will be notified via phone, email and mail no later than May 1, 2024.
- Awardees must provide proof of enrollment at an eligible post-secondary institution within 10 business days of notification or risk forfeiting the scholarship. If the recipient does not provide proof of enrollment within the 10-day period, the applicant will forfeit the scholarship and a new recipient will be selected.
- Scholarship award checks are made payable to the approved institution in the student’s name and are mailed directly to the financial aid office of the designated school. Recipients commit to using the award toward tuition, books and fees. Any unused funds will roll over to the next semester as long as the student maintains at least part-time enrollment. Funds not used within the academic year will be returned to the BHEF. Cash stipends will be issued directly to the awardees.
- Scholarships are a one-time award and are non-renewable. Past recipients may apply for a BHEF Scholarship annually as long as the eligibility requirements are met.
- Recipients agree to allow their names, photos and biographical information to be published in print and digital materials to promote the Barbara Holston Education Fund and Fort Worth Housing Solutions