Barbara Holston Education Fund Eligibility Guidelines
- Be a current participant of Fort Worth Housing Solutions rental assistance programs, or an approved household member, for a minimum of 12 months prior to June 30 of the year that the application is submitted.
- Be current on all financial obligations related to FWHS. Payment arrangements accepted.
- Have earned a high school diploma, GED or be enrolled in their senior year of high school and on track to graduate. Transcripts must be submitted with scholarship application.
- Be enrolled in an accredited, post-secondary institution for the upcoming academic year in one of the following
- An Associate or Bachelor degree program at a nonprofit, post-secondary institution.
- Vocational or technical certification program lasting at least six months offered by a nonprofit, post-secondary institution.
- Maintain at least part-time enrollment during the scholarship period based on institution’s program and policy.
Barbara Holston Education Fund Rules
- The BHEF Scholarship application period is April 1 through June 30 each year. No applications are accepted after midnight June 30.
- Applications are accepted via an online entry form only. Applicants may submit only one application per year. Duplicate applications will be removed, including any applications that are determined to be variations of the same entry.
- Recipients will be drawn at random through a lottery system.
- Scholarship recipients will be notified via phone, email and mail. Winners must provide proof of enrollment at an eligible post-secondary institution within 10 business days of notification or risk forfeiting her or his scholarship. If the recipient does not provide proof of enrollment within the 10-day period, the applicant will forfeit her or his scholarship and a new recipient will be selected through a lottery.
- Scholarship award checks are made payable to the approved institution in the student’s name and are mailed directly to the financial aid office of the designated school. Recipients commit to using the award toward tuition, books and fees. Any unused funds will roll over to the next semester as long as the student maintains at least part-time enrollment. Funds not used within the academic year will be returned to the BHEF.
- Recipients acknowledge this is a one-time award for the upcoming school term.
- Scholarships are non-renewable. Past recipients, however, may apply for a BHEF Scholarship annually as long as all eligibility criteria are met.
- Recipients agree to allow their names, photos and biographical information to be published in print and digital materials to promoted the Barbara Holston Education Fund and Fort Worth Housing Solutions.